Thursday, August 12, 2010

At the base of Grand Teton

Exciting news everyone! We are in bear country now! And by God, a bear was just spotted in THIS very campsite just LAST NIGHT. And, again! THIS MORNING! Lets face it, they are everywhere, despite my fervent prayers that they please, pretty please with chocolate covered chocolate chocolate cherries on top just stay far away off in the woods.

I know what you’re thinking. Predictably, you’re thinking, Oh cry me a river Mis, you are in some of the most spectacular parts of the country and all you can think about is bear attacks. To that I say, not just bear attacks. I worry about the three escaped convicts thought to be hiding out in Yellowstone, and I worry about the one lone armed and dangerous american indian riding around Wyoming on horseback who is presently wanted by the FBI for assaulting an officer and numerous other violent crimes. And, for good measure, I worry about moose and wolves. Who knew moose were dangerous. I swear I’ve always thought of them as cartoonish goofy creatures tromping clumsily around in the woods. Apparently, they charge and stomp people. At this point, I have moments where my worries assemble in a ragged stream of indecipherable general anxiety. But, At least it hasn’t reached a state of paralyzing fear.

All the dramatics aside, we went out on a hike today, and it was marvelous. The Tetons are breathtaking, and make you feel so exposed and small. It’s an awesome feeling to be immersed in nature. We saw a Coyote today, took lots of pictures and talked to the climbers. This place is awesome, my cabin mates drove us into Jackson for the night last night and we got to hang out in some very expensive cowboy bars. Off to Yellowstone tomorrow!

Melissa




No comments:

Post a Comment