Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Can I return my $50 can of bear mace?

So we got out of Yellowstone without seeing a bear. Oddly, I’m a little upset about this. It seemed everywhere we went, I heard a passer-by’er talking about their encounters with a bear-- usually from a distance and usually in a car. They would talk about it like a badge of honor. I have mixed feelings about this.

Growing up I vividly remember watching the movie The Bear. Curled up on my parents couch, tears rolling down my face, I would periodically choke out, “I love bears!” Bears were cute and cuddly and no one could resist their cute little paws. I imagined myself in the wild, skipping along a path and coming upon a cute little bear peacefully eating honey. He would purr and I would pet him. We’d become friends and we would cuddle while falling asleep in a field of daisies. They are just like cats! I thought to myself.

Fast forward 20-years to Kinsman, Ohio. While spending the weekend at Melissa’s mom’s house, we stumbled upon the television show, I Survived. Sweet mother of Jesus, it was terrifying. While hiking through Yellowstone (where we just came from!), two men were attacked by a (no drumroll needed here) bear. Or should I say, BEAR!!!! It was full out mayhem. Big giant paws with big giant claws everywhere! . . . Clawing at their faces. And legs. And arms. And torsos. Bears are not like kitty cats. The point was made and well received, thank you every much Biography – bears are scary.

So I went to Yellowstone armed. Armed with a $50 can of bear mace. I carried this huge can with me for days (in fact, it’s still in my bag right now). At night, it was always within reach. I plucked down the money for it and I didn’t even get to use it! I’m upset I didn’t get my boy scout patch for this one.

So . . . I paid to see the bears!!!! Like any normal blue-blooded American would do. Thank you Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center!

Brooke


I think this bear was purring as he smashed his paw into the bear-proof dumpster.




3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and have been reading it- great stuff! Very inspiring. I'm turning 40 next summer and plan to celebrate it with a trans-am tour on my LHT.

    Brooke- I'm super curious about the tat on the inside of your arm- chainring?

    If you guys make it through Portland my girlfriend and I would be happy to host you. You can find us on www.warmshowers.org under rcgood.

    Thanks and good luck!
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for reading! You've got to do the trans-am. You'll met so many amazing people and see so many crazy things. Yep, I have a chainring tattoo on my inner right arm. I love it. You should get one of those, too. ;)
    We'll look you up in Portland. We're hoping to possibly relocate to Portland, so we'd love to hear your thoughts on it!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement. I am definitely going to do the Trans-Am next summer, I'm planning and saving for the trip even now.

    Funny you say that about the tattoo- that's kind of why it caught my attention. I have been wanting a bicycle-related tattoo for a while and a chainring is one of my possibles. Maybe not on the inside of my arm, but something like that none the less.

    Portland is absolute nirvana. I've lived in a lot of places but nowhere I've liked as much as here. It's got great culture- art, music, wonderful restaurants and bars- a very DIY ethic; a laid-back be-and-let-be attitude; very casual (I wear shorts and sandals to work about half the year); incredible bike culture. All the amenities of a big city but with a friendly, small town vibe. It's also paradise for outdoorsy types- the coast and mountains and both within a short drive or a day's bike ride, so there are endless opportunities for hiking, trail running, kayaking, climbing, skiing, etc. all right here. Lots of yoga studios, microbrew capitol of the world... Sorry, I'm rambling, can't help it!

    I look forward to seeing you both when you get here. I'll keep the guest room ready for you!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete