Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Giving notice

I told myself I wasn't going to do it, but I did. Twice. I cried. And then I cried some more.

I gave my work notice on Monday. And although I am excited about the bike tour, I cried before I could even get the words out. Nationwide has been a really great company to work for. I like the people I work with, the people I work for; I like my desk, I like the gym in the basement; I like the company's Green initiatives and I like their involvement in the community; I like the security guards and I like the people who work in the coffee shop -- the list could go on forever because I like a lot about Nationwide. This was also really hard for me because I hate disappointing people. The people I work for have given me a lot of opportunity and knowledge and I know I could have a very successful future at Nationwide. I could easily be a happy Nationwider for life.

I spent the better half of Monday morning with a stomach ache and hives. I nervously paced in front of my bosses office, trying to work up the nerve to let him know of my plans. When I finally did, I was nervous and uneasy and I could barely tell him what I wanted to say, what I had practiced saying in front of the mirror for days. But Rod, the head of the department, was amazing. He gave me hope. He was genuinely happy for me and supportive. What I thought was going to be a horrible moment, ended up being a really awesome and motivating one.

It's scary quitting a job. It's especially scary when you don't have another job lined-up. I know I may have a really hard time finding employment in the future. I don't know what's going to happen. Admittedly, my palms get a little sweaty when I think about a future without a paycheck. But, on the other hand, my heart pounds a little bit harder when I think about all the things I will see and experience on the road.

Brooke

1 comment:

  1. You will never have trouble finding work, Brooke! Congratulations on having the courage to live a dream!

    - Randall W.

    ReplyDelete