Saturday, July 24, 2010

The monster at the end of this book

Today I woke up with Josh’s warnings about Kansas storms echoing in my head. Specifically, in the 30 minute span I was awake before I walked out the door, a made sure I allowed sufficient time to completely freak myself the F out. By the time we were walking out the door of the hotel, I had myself convinced that today with the day for a tornado in Kansas. “Might as well just get on out there, Mis, out into big scary stormy hot windy dangerous Kansas” I told myself. You’re a bike tourist, what are you gonna do, call up Josh?” You can’t beg strangers for rides everyday!

Needless to say, I didn’t want to leave the hotel and I wasn’t feeling very capable or confident today. But, when I stepped outside, it was beautiful. The sunrise was gorgeous! As we pedaled down the road, we immediately noticed that the there was no wind! No wind! It was so calm and peaceful. The way the sun was coming up, and nobody was outside except us, it was magical. And the moment was all mine to enjoy.

We made our miles so easily today, and we were done riding at 11:30 am. The weather finally cooled off some, and the wind actually switched directions! We had a slight tailwind today, which made riding pleasurable.

After it was all said and done, today was one of those days where I want to kick myself for worrying obsessively about something, when really, there was nothing to worry about all along. This is a problem with me, and today illustrates it perfectly. I feel like I’m Grover in the Little Golden Book entitled “The Monster at the End of This Book”. Maybe some of you know it. If not, well, you are too young, or missed out because of parental neglect. Just kidding. It is my favorite Little Golden Book though.

Anyhow, because we finished riding early, we had time to do our laundry! How exciting. At the laundry mat, I managed to find a decorating magazine from 1989, which honestly provided entertainment for the entire time we were there. The little mail-in order forms for cheap jewelry, decorative plates and figurines cracked me up, and the fabric patterns! So, here are some pics of the sky, and trust me, they don’t do it justice.

Melissa
Please see rules 4 and 5 for our hotel room. Thank you.





2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day.

    What'd you decide to do with all of your uncleaned pheasants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you know why I got the heck out of Kansas!

    This is a true story...when I was in college, I worked at a motel in Pratt Ks. We had such a problem with the cleaning crew finding pheasant feathers and more in the rooms that we put a sign up on the front desk that read "There will be a $25 charge for cleaning birds in your room. " One night as I was checking in a group of bird hunters from Wisconsin, one man in the group was studying that sign. Finally he looked at me and said "What is a cleaning bird?" True story.

    ReplyDelete