Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Way out in the country

Harmony Hill, Missouri, as you heard from Brooke, was great. Jennifer, Duane, and their girls-Etsu, Dirty Bird, Peppermint Pattie, Princess and the other 37 goats were fantastic! I’ve never experienced anything quite like that place. Jennifer is an animal person through and through, and it shows! These goats love her, and she loves them. They all have names, and she knows each individual goat’s personal “Baah” or voice. I know, I know, I know...you may be skeptical, but it’s true.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I, unlike Brooke, may not be cut out for goat ranching. I helped out as much as I could, but the cold hard truth is that i’m terrible at milking goats. I yank, and twist, and I definitely don’t have the whole pull and squeeze maneuver down. Oh hell, I gave it a shot. When milk did squirt out, it shot out sideways missing the bucket entirely. Jennifer finally said that if I were left to milk a goat, the goat and I would be there three days from when I began the endeavor. So, I did a lot of petting dogs, and looking around in wonder. I tried to redeem myself my being funny, and asking questions but that’s about all I had to offer. Jennifer was cool about it though.

One of my highlights of the stay was when Jennifer took us way far out into the country on the longest most relaxing country drive I’ve ever had. It was so great to sit and stare out the window of her F-350 diesel truck. For hours, we sailed over the monstrous hills and rattled down the dirt roads that were sometimes more like narrow twisty paths. We discussed everything under the sun. She treated us to lunch at an awesome indian restaurant, which is our favorite food, and definitely hard to come by on this trip. She also cooked us amazing vegetarian dishes each night, which was so appreciated by Brooke and I.

Once in awhile, we meet somebody that we can talk to instantly about anything and everything. Jennifer was one of those people, and we are fortunate to have met her. I’m so amazed at how this bike tour has allowed us to get to really know the people we meet. Short spontaneous conversations often leave me smiling for the rest of the day, or thinking in ways I never have before. Thanks to Jennifer and Duane, the goats, chickens, and dogs!

Melissa

1 comment: