Friday, July 23, 2010

Thank you Josh

I feel like I’m on repeat, but today was, you guessed it, really windy and really hot. We pedaled into the wind, which was gusting to 40 miles per hour. It was 114 degrees. Around 3 p.m., we still had 17 miles to go to get to Ness City Kansas. To give you perspective, on a road bike with no gear and normal Ohio wind, this would have taken us less than an hour, easy. But, here in Kansas, with the wind, we average about 8mph. So, it would have taken us about 3 hours.

We both felt really defeated, but we pedaled on because we had no choice in the matter. I spotted a couple guys working the oil derricks, I noticed they had trucks, and seemed to be just hanging out. So yes, I confess, I asked them if they were heading to Ness City. I quickly followed with, “I’ll pay you to take us there.” The oil worker, whose name is Josh, immediately replied, “no you can’t pay me, but I’ll take you!” “I’m heading there right now.” O’ Wonderful, perfect oil derrick worker Josh. He saved us. We hopped in the truck, and Josh pulled out onto the road. I felt like we were going about 95mph, since I was used to a speed of 8mph. He told us all about tornados, and the perils of Kansas storms. It is supposed to storm tomorrow, so by the time we got out of the truck, my worries had progressed from simple concerns of wind and heat, to concerns of lightening, tornados, wind and heat.

As miserable as this trip sounds sometimes, the truth is, I love the challenge. It is incredibly mentally and physically challenging, and it is always unpredictable. It’s certainly not boring. At the end of the day, we always end up safe, and it is great to lay around thinking and laughing about of all the obstacles we overcame that day. We got to Ness City, got checked in the hotel, and promptly headed down the road for a beer. I expected to find an empty bar with a lonesome bored bar tender, but when I opened the door, the bar was bustling with people drinking beers and staying out of the heat. The people in Kansas have been some of the nicest!

Melissa







No comments:

Post a Comment