Thursday, September 23, 2010

Anacortes

Months before we left for the trip, I was scouring Columbus for other people who had completed bicycle tours of their own. To put it mildly, over the rather depressing Ohio winter, deep in the planning phase of this trip, I had a few anguished moments which left me feeling like my plan was stupid, unrealistic and half baked. I was worried that I was just running from some as yet unidentified problem, or taking the easy way out. I was desperate to find someone who had done some touring of their own, so they could reassure me, so they could tell me it would be worth it. Realistically, I knew that was a tall order. Ultimately, I am the only one capable of deciding what risks are worth taking in my life. But still, I needed to hear the plus side of someone else’s pivotal decision to take off on a bike across the country.

That person was Todd Shaw. I was in court wrapping up some cases from the morning docket, when the judge who was hearing my cases for the day suggested I go talk to Magistrate Shaw about my plans to embark on the bike trip. I was sheepish, and totally overanalyzed the entire thing. I didn’t want to bother the guy, and I felt insecure about just popping down to his office to pick his brain about bike tours. And, I especially didn’t want to come off like I needed I pep talk, I wanted to seem self assured. Determined. So I put it off for a few days. But, finally I decided to go introduce myself and ask him to share some of his bicycle touring stories.

Man, his face immediately lit up while he riffled through his desk to pull out pictures from the trip he and his wife took across the country on a tandem. He traced for me on a map the route they took, and it was evident that he cherished the memories. He said it was the best time of their lives. He told me just what I wanted to hear. He told me with certainty that I’d never regret going on the tour. I left his office about an hour later with my enthusiasm and confidence was restored. As I was walking out the door, he said, “if you go through Anacortes let me know and I’ll arrange for you to stay at my home there.” At the time, I didn’t think I’d ever take him up on that offer. I thought it was probably just a polite gesture. But, now that I’m in bike touring mentality where I make it a rule to accept the kindness coming my way, I called him up and asked him if the offer to stay in Anacortes was still open. It was. It turns out that his wife Kathleen was just getting back in to town and was happy to accommodate us for the night.

When we got off the ferry in Anacortes, Kathleen was there with her bike ready to lead us to her house. We followed her to her place, and not five minutes in the door we were swapping bike tour stories. It was awesome to hear the enthusiasm in her voice about her and her husband’s bike trip, which was about ten years ago. The experience is still with her in such an apparent way, so again, talking with her I was reassured that these memories will be with me forever. This trip will shape who I am, in so many positive ways and I’m really looking forward to the day when I can give back the kindness that has been tossed my way.

Kathleen cooked us a delicious vegetarian meal and had chocolate bars and cookies for us. We did laundry, got a good night’s sleep and took off for Port Townsend the next morning.

If this bike trip has taught me anything, it is this: be willing to accept the kindness of strangers and be kind back. Take the extra step to be nice. Offer to help people when you think they need it. It is enriching for everyone involved. I know this sounds unsophisticated and obvious, but to really put it in practice is a tremendous thing. So, thanks Todd and Kathleen for the amazing night of rest in your home. We will pass the big-heartedness and generosity forward!

Melissa

Bridge coming out of Anacortes.

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty cool...

    Also, a bonus in this episode? The fact that you are an attorney, I think. I don't think the whole lawyering gig has been mentioned in any previous posts.

    It may come in handy if Brooke drinks too much Moose Water and gets unruly in some backwater town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this post gave me chills and made me teary-eyed. I'm so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete