Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Revelations and relaxation in Eugene

Well, I might as well make it official with an announcement on my blog. Not that announcing an extremely personal life decision on one’s blog is the last step in finalizing said decision, but it’s a start, right? So, for all of you who would rather not read uber-divulge-y personal revelations on a bike touring blog, read no further!

I want a baby. Henry did me in. He proved too cute and irresistible with that little smile. He’d sneak it on me, wearing me down little-by-little and, 8 days later I’m convinced I want a baby. It wasn’t just his cute happy little smile. It was his cutesy socks, the sweet little hats he’d wear, and his adorable little t-shirts. He’s a charming little peek-a-boo player too, and he knows it. Suddenly, I have this fire under my ass to reproduce. It’s probably just some ancient chemical in my brian that kicks in right around my current age, telling me to spawn, but still, it’s there. It’s undeniably there.

So, now that the cat’s out of the bag on babies, it’s on to Eugene . . . Eugene was great. It was awesome to see one of my oldest friends doing all sorts of mom things with her first child. And, what’s cool, is that Jill is still the same old Jill, just with an adorable precious gift of a son. Eugene is such a hippy town, and Brooke and I liked it a lot. Good vegetarian food is easy to come by, and the vibe there was definitely laid back.

Other than jogging along the bike paths by the river and walking around the city, Brooke and I spent a lot of time getting caught up on True Blood. I know, such a stimulating and interesting TV program. Even though we burnt too many hours watching trashy vampire shows, we also started looking for jobs and thinking about what we want our futures to look like.

Unbelievably, I really enjoyed searching for jobs and imagining what type of work I may want to pursue when the bike tour is over. I’m definitely nervous about all of the uncertainty of the future, but on the other hand, I’m also trying to be positive and I’m attempting to enjoy the process. I usually get really worked up about stuff like this, I worry about qualifications, and whether I’ll fit in but this time I’m not going to get bogged down with that stuff. My stance on this is all way more zen than I am usually capable of pulling off, but it beats second guessing myself, and worrying myself to death. Before you know it, I may be reading Buddha books!

On a side note, this trip has made my brian mushy. I was supposed to meet up with some fellow bicycle tourists in Eugene, and I totally forgot. I don’t really know how this happened. So, my apologies to Aaron and his very generous wife who gave up her room at the Marriott so we could have a place to stay in Missoula. I’m really sorry I’ve turned into such a scatter brained dingbat. I wanted to hear about your trip down the coast!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment